Day 16 & 17 NOT at the FAR Clinic

To say shit fell apart on our travels back to Salt Lake City is a major understatement.  Don't be concerned, its all good now, we are just not quite there yet.   Note to world: do not try to do medical travel on the Friday of the Memorial Long Weekend.

It all started when we had to connect in Toronto.  Our plane from Ottawa couldn't land because they only had one runway available.  When e finally did, I had no idea that security and customs in Toronto were such a mess.  They have added new computerized immigration document form and computerized passport inspections.  But of course those are new so they also have to be verified by humans.  Everyone is going to the US so there is a lineup for each step of the way.  Security tried to to rush us through, but that is a bit of an oxymoron in itself. And then then there was the asshole directing the lineups at customs... I won't dwell on all he did, but I swear it was on purpose. I just stayed focussed on getting to the plane.

So we ran, not something that is good for me right now, but we knew we had to do it.  We were only late a couple of minutes but the Air Canada agent was mortified to tell us it didn't matter.  They had to pull our bags off and they couldn't legally put us on a plane without our bags.  It was Air Canada"s "Inaugural Flight" to Salt Lake City.  They don't normally fly there.  I think when she saw the look of horror on my face, she knew this wasn't going to go well.  She wasn't sure when they had a flight next but it would not be that night.  I never used to be one to cry during challenging times, but I am also not myself these days.  And I knew I was going to cry.  I had to get back to the clinic for treatment at 9 am because the guilt of being away from treatment was waring on me.  I was starting to worry that I was degrading the effectiveness of the program.  The way it was explained to me that I was keeping things at bay while doing the treatments at home, but that the intensity at the clinic was where I would see real progress.  I really wanted to see real progress.

I walked away and tried to find a quiet spot (not really possible in an airpot), put my head in my knees and scarf over my head and cried uncontrollably.  I just had to get it out.  I was so tired.  I was tired of every step getting harder and the harder I tried, the harder it got.  This was just the straw that broke the camels back. I have no more energy to cope.  I knew it would sort itself out, but I just had to let it go...I was sick of trying to hold it together.

There really was not clear solution.  People had missed their flights all over, so there was an hour and a half wait at the Air Canada service desk.  I was on the phone with my forever friend (also an ex travel agent) on Friday night as she was trying to help me find an alternative way. At the same time two other acts of kindness were at work.  One man had approached Brian and said he didn't want to intrude but he hated to see someone in such despair (that was overreactive me) and could he do anything to help?  How kind!  He started searching flights for us.  Then the Air Canada lady came over and said she had asked her boss to take her off her shift so she could help us, because the service desk was so backed up.  There was this team of 5 of us trying to find an alternative way to Salt Lake City for 9 a.m. in the morning.
  • The only flight took us to Vancouver for midnight and we would have a 6 hour layover in the airport. Plus we wouldn't get there for 9 a.m.
  • There were not other flights by any airline except for Saturday night and there were 2 layovers and an insane travel time.  
  • The Air Canada agent then got a map looking for closest City's to Salt Lake and the man checking on his phone would search for flight options. 
  • They finally found a flight to Las Vegas, we would get in at 10:30 their time, 1:30 our time (Brian decided he was going to drive through the night, while I slept and we would be there.  That idea seems irrational now, but at the time motivated us to move ahead.  
  • The Air Canada agent said they would not be able to cover a rental car.  That was okay. I had one waiting in Salt Lake City, I called and changed it to Vegas, cancelled our hotel and booked another.  Done!
I had tried to call the clinic but they were closed for the day.  I did finally get speaking with the trainer and she called Rod.  He called back saying that it would not be a good idea to do treatments Saturday Morning after all that has taken place.  When you are fatigued and weakened they are so hard.  With every treatment you want to push yourself to be as effective as possible. It was then decided that we get some sleep and drive Saturday during the day and start treatments Monday morning and extend treatments at the end.  Rod is also the one who is adamant that deep sleep is necessary for healing.  That is why they monitor my sleep by the fitbit.  I was relieved and disappointed I really wanted to get back at things, but Brian driving all night was not a viable option.  That would prove to be truer than we realized once we arrive in Vegas. 

Once in Vegas the long weekend became really apparent.  A log wait for luggage at the airport (but grateful that ours made it). We were 45 minutes in line up for the rental car, another long line up for the shuttle bus to the rental cars. And of course a line up to park your car at the hotel and a line up to register at the hotel.  It was 4 a.m. our time by the time we entered the room and had not eaten in over 12 hours.  I was sick.  The running, the standing and trying to sleep on a plane had just seized my joints.  It felt great to lie down.  

The cruel irony about having to go to Vegas is, I was there once 10-15 years ago. After one night out, I was sick in bed for the remainder of the trip.  I used to joke that "vegas tried to kill me".  Now here I am sick in bed in Vegas again.  I am pretty sure Vegas is the least applicable place for a Lyme patient to be.  I have never been good with crowds or crazy, wild environments.  I don't know if it was the anxiety that intensified with Lyme or because the nervous system is so affected or maybe it is because of the fatigue and weakness, but you don't cope well with over stimulation. The last few years, I have had to avoid crowds, concerts and busy environments like the plague.  So why not go to Vegas!  I am laughing at this, its seems too ironic not to.

A few of you have already sent messages worried because there was no blog saying we arrived safely.  We have arrived somewhere safely and will be making our way shortly.  Good news is Brian always wanted to see the Hoover Dam, so its on our way.  Mind you, he picked quite a way to get there.

I really don't know why things happened as they did yesterday.  It seems unnecessary at best. But I do like the Joel Osteen statement "You can't expect the blessing with out the burdens." I really have to believe that all that went wrong today is just to say the blessings coming and its gonna be BIG!  So now after a little sleep, I can see that clearly.  I think this is all a good thing.  

Again, I say, I love meeting people who love their job and do it so well.  Carolyn, from Air Canada was one of them.  And to the man that helped us.  It is people like him that make this world a batter place.  If we could all be like that, peace could be achieved, I'm sure.  We got his email and will be thanking him someway, somehow.  Another one to add to the list to the pay it forward list.  

I was reading a thing the other day about serenity and how we are always trying to get things done, perfect, or over with so we can be happy or peaceful.  But that it really comes when we learn to find it despite the situation, circumstances or what we are waiting for.  The only way to find true serenity is in the here and now, despite what is going on.  That proved true today for sure.  I don't think I would call the feeling serenity...so there is much work to be done.  But its a knowing that things will sort themselves out (after a good cry of course ;-).  

The other blessing in all of this is knowing that I have to be improving.  A few short months ago, I would not have been able to do this.  One of the obstacles in itself would have done it for me.  I didn't really need the full obstacle course to prove that, or maybe I did :)

I was also told by the clinic that I need to be setting things up with my General Partitioner at home.  And funny as this sounds, I don't have one.  I plan to send a letter to the clinic at home and will share that with you.  I think this situation is way too common for Lyme patients and goes against everything I believe the Medical Profession is about.  So I hope to find a solution with the letter.

The battle continues.  I don't think the Bastards are responsible for the set back.  But I do feel we won a battle I would not have a very short time ago.  So thats a win for me.  Bastards 6 - Kristy 9

1 comment:

  1. What a whirlwind and your Vegas story made me laugh. Hope the hoover dam was worth it :)

    ReplyDelete